General Terms and Conditions
of Sprachendienst Dr. Herrlinger GmbH
for Interpreting Services
Status: October 2014
Art. 1 Scope, exclusion of deviating terms and conditions
(1) Our General Terms and Conditions apply exclusively. They are also applicable to all future business transactions and ancillary services such as any information, notifications or similar, and to all business contact with the Client, including for example in cases where contractual negotiations are initiated or contracts proposed, even where these General Terms and Conditions have not yet been expressly agreed again or where no repeat express reference is made to them.
(2) If, in individual cases, contractual obligations are established against persons who are not themselves to be a contractual party, the liability stipulations of these General Terms and Conditions shall also apply to such third parties in as far as the General Terms and Conditions were involved in the establishment of the contractual obligation. This applies in particular in cases where the third parties were informed of or already had knowledge of the General Terms and Conditions.
(3) We do not acknowledge and hereby contradict any conditions on the part of the Client which deviate from or conflict with our General Terms and Conditions. Agreements entered into at an earlier date and earlier revisions of our General Terms and Conditions are superseded by the present Terms and Conditions.
Art. 2 Conclusion of contract, content and scope of performance, prohibition of assignment
(1) Unless otherwise agreed with the Client, our quotations are drawn up free of charge and are non-binding. A contract comes into effect on confirmation of the Client’s purchase order or on commencement of order execution by us.
(2) Our written quotation / our confirmation of order is authoritative in determining the scope of our performance. Ancillary agreements or changes must be confirmed by us in writing.
(3) Unless expressly marked as binding, any facts contained in brochures, advertisements, price lists or other documentation are deemed approximations only.
(4) In the provision of interpretation services, we may deploy suitable qualified personnel of our choice. The right to performance is non-transferrable.
(5) The Client is not entitled to assign or transfer claims or rights arising from the business relationship to third parties without our consent. The same shall apply in respect of claims and rights against us arising directly by operation of statute.
Art. 3 Requirements
(1) The Client exclusively shall be responsible for describing the performance requirement. The Client shall procure any necessary technical equipment required for transmissions and shall guarantee its correct working order. If the technical equipment made available by the customer is inadequate and/or defective to a degree that the interpreter is either unable to work or to work only with restrictions, then the interpreter supplied by us shall be entitled either not to commence working or to discontinue working. This shall not affect our claim vis a vis the customer to payment.
(2) The Client shall make known the address of the venue in good time and shall provide a schedule and clear directions. The venue used shall be equipped to the customary safety standards for employees.
Art. 4 Prices, payment, offsetting, right of retention
(1) The specified prices are net prices exclusive of the relevant valid rate of value-added tax, even where this is not separately indicated, and exclusive of any ancillary costs.
(2) Unless otherwise agreed, our invoices are payable 14 days from the date of invoice without deductions. If the Client is acting on conclusion of contract in a commercial or selfemployed professional capacity, then we shall be entitled to demand interest on arrears of 5% above the relevant base interest rate without prior warning. This shall not prejudice our right to demand higher interest on arrears where applicable. Other means of payment shall only be accepted by separate agreement and on account of performance, and a charge made for all discount and collection fees which shall fall due for immediate payment.
(3) Should the Client fall into payment arrears, we shall be entitled to make the provision of further services conditional upon full settlement of any outstanding payments.
(4) We shall furthermore be entitled to refuse to provide services in cases where circumstances arising after conclusion of contract give rise to doubts as to the ability of the Client to make full and timely payment, unless the Client meets its obligation or provides adequate security. This applies in particular in cases where knowledge is received of any enforcement measures and/or bill or cheque protest actions against the Client.
(5) In the event of wage or salary increases, if the Client is acting on conclusion of contract in a commercial or selfemployed professional capacity and more than four months have elapsed between conclusion of contract and the agreed performance date, we shall be entitled to adjust the agreed price accordingly.
(6) Offsetting against counterclaims of the Client which are disputed or ready for adjudication is excluded. If the Client is acting on conclusion of contract in a commercial or selfemployed professional capacity, any notification of defect shall affect neither its obligation to pay nor the due date for payment. The Client waives any right to refuse performance or withhold payment, excepting where we or our legal representatives or vicarious agents are responsible for gross infringement of contract or where the counterclaims on the part of the Client which form the basis of the right of the Client to refuse performance or to withhold payment are undisputed, established by due legal process or ready for adjudication.
Art. 5 Liability
(1) Should we fail to deliver, or should our delivery be delayed or defective, this shall not entitle the Client to compensation for damages excepting:
a) in the event of damages arising from injury to life, limb or health which are due to premeditated or negligent infringement of duty on our part or to premeditated or negligent infringement of duty on the part of one of our legal representatives or vicarious agents.
b) in the event of other damage caused as a result of premeditated or grossly negligent infringement of duty on our part or of premeditated or grossly negligent infringement of duty on the part of one of our legal representatives, senior staff members or vicarious agents, or in the event of the premeditated or negligent infringement of obligations material to the contract (cardinal obligations) on our part or the premeditated or negligent infringement of obligations material to the contract (cardinal obligations) on the part of one of our legal representatives, senior management staff or vicarious agents. Obligations material to the contract (cardinal obligations) are obligations whose fulfilment is fundamental to correct execution of the contract and on the fulfilment of which the Client may rely on a regular basis.
c) in the event of damages falling within the protected scope of a guarantee (assurance) provided by us, or in the event of damages for which we bear mandatory liability by law.
This does not prejudice any further-reaching liability on the basis of fraudulent conduct.
In the event of simple negligent infringement of a material contractual obligation, any liability is limited to the degree of damage typically to be expected in such cases. This shall not include damages arising from injury to life, limb or health.
Unless otherwise agreed in these General Terms and Conditions, any claim by the Client to damages of any kind, in particular damages claims arising as the result of an offence, are excluded. This also applies to claims arising due to / against our vicarious agents. Our liability limitation shall not be applicable in the event of premeditation or gross negligence on the part of ourselves or our vicarious agents.
(2) Should third parties be commissioned or involved in the initiation or settlement of the contractual obligation between the parties, the above outlined guarantee and liability restrictions shall also apply in favour of such third parties.
(3) In the event that consequential damages due to a defect can occur, an obligation to compensate for damages shall only arise in cases where the order placed by the Client is extended to include utilization of the service against payment. In the event of claims for compensation of damages due to infringement of operating secrets by subcontractors commissioned by us, our liability shall be restricted to the assignment of our claims to the Client.
Art. 6 Rights
Unless otherwise separately agreed, we retain all copyright. The Client shall not be entitled to utilize the work supplied other than for the purposes of the order. Duplication, in particular recordings, require our express prior consent. Before utilization by the Client of authorized duplicates, these must be sent to us on a correctable data carrier for the purposes of review, for which a charge is payable. Any right of distribution on the part of the Client shall be restricted to the revised duplicate.
Art. 7 Termination
Should the Client terminate an order placed with us, then it shall be responsible for payment of the agreed remuneration less any expenses saved by us as a result of non-fulfilment as follows: If the Client terminates the order 30 days prior to the deployment, we shall be entitled to demand 50% of the anticipated minimum fee as a cancellation charge. Should the Client cancel the order between 29 and 14 days prior to the deployment, we shall be entitled to charge 75% of the anticipated minimum fee as a cancellation charge. Should the Client cancel the order 13 days or less prior to the deployment, we shall be entitled to charge 100% of the anticipated minimum fee as a cancellation charge. Added to this shall be any already incurred ancillary costs, in particular travelling expenses. As applies to all legally binding declarations, termination by the Client must be made in writing.
Art. 8 Final stipulations
(1) If the Client is a business person, legal entity under public law or a special fund under public law, or if the Client has no general legal venue in the Federal Republic of Germany or has moved its legal venue abroad, the place of fulfilment and legal venue for all disputes arising between the parties from the contractual relationship (including any cheque or bill-related disputes) is 72138 Kirchentellinsfurt. We shall also be entitled to litigate at the legal venue with competence for the Client’s place of business.
(2) The Client is aware that data arising from business correspondence, also personal data, must be saved, processed and made available to third parties within the framework of commercial necessity. The Client gives its consent for its data to be collected and processed for this purpose.
(3) Should any provision of these General Terms and Conditions or a provision within the framework of any other agreement be or become unworkable, this shall not affect the validity of the remaining provisions or agreements.
(4) German law exclusively shall be applicable to all contractual and other legal relations with our Clients.
Sprachendienst Dr. Herrlinger GmbH
Wannweiler Str. 12